Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update See details


Frequently Asked Questions

Education abroad is the act of pursuing educational opportunities in a country other than your own.

UAlbany students in ALL majors and minors are eligible to apply for an education abroad program earning degree credit. Specific programs may have additional eligibility requirements.

Transfer students, you are also eligible! Coursework taken abroad can be used to meet your graduation requirements, and as long as you complete either your junior year or senior year on campus (any 30 of the last 60 credits counted towards your degree must be done physically at UAlbany). You can even go for a full year as long as any 30 of the last 69 credits are taken at UAlbany. Be sure to speak with your academic advisor to discuss specific course approvals.

Education abroad is YOUR opportunity for a high-impact learning experience that you will remember and continue to benefit from for the rest of your life! More specifically, education abroad can:

  • Enhance the value of your degree
  • Help you to obtain skills valuable to employers and graduate programs
  • Improve your adaptability and help you achieve personal growth
  • Build your second-language skills
  • Assist you in gaining intercultural competence as you better understand other cultures and your own!

Visit the Education Abroad office, schedule an advising appointment, or check out our location, subject, and term program searches for available programs. There’s no “best” program – only the one that best fits your plans. Our staff can help you find options that work best for you!

The Center for International Education and Global Strategy’s Education Abroad office offers more than 80 opportunities for educa abroad, internships, service learning, volunteer, and research in over 30 countries worldwide, including our very own UAlbany in Spain semester and summer programs! Additionally, through the SUNY consortium, you have access to more than 500 programs!

Many programs offer coursework taught in English, so no foreign language skills are required for most programs. However, if you are looking to improve your foreign language skills or begin learning a foreign language, education abroad is a perfect opportunity to do so!

Most programs will allow you to go abroad any time after your freshman year. You can go abroad for the full Academic Year, Fall or Spring Semester. Or, consider a short-term program in the Summer, Winter, or over Spring Break.

As early as possible! Begin with researching options abroad that match your academic and personal goals. Attend our education abroad fair each semester, meet with an education abroad program coordinator, talk with your academic advisor, and meet with financial aid. Discuss with your parents and your professors; speak to other students who have studied abroad.

As soon as possible! You can get advice about how to fit an education abroad experience into your schedule by reviewing sample Global Distinction progression plans for your major, by speaking with your academic advisor in the Advisement Services Center, or from your major department. You can get help in selecting a program that meets your needs at any time from the Education Abroad office. It is possible to have specific classes taken approved for inclusion in your major or minor in advance. Once you know which courses you take abroad  will satisfy your requirements here, you can plan future semesters more easily. The most important thing is to make your choice wisely and be sure the program you pick meets your needs.

Apply early in the semester before you hope to participate in an education abroad program. Application deadlines are typically between September 15th and October 1st for Winter and Spring programs, November 1st for Spring Break programs, and March 1st for Fall and Summer programs, with some exceptions.

From Accounting to Zoology, you can study almost anything abroad. No matter what your major or minor, you are eligible to apply for an education abroad program and can earn credit towards your undergraduate degree. Review a list of academic subjects to start your exploration.

If you want courses taken abroad to be assigned UAlbany course equivalencies, bring a Course Equivalency Approval Form to each academic department for which you are seeking an equivalency. Available once you begin a program application, the form is used to assign upper division UAlbany equivalencies to courses you took abroad, as well as to apply courses to your major or minor.

UAlbany provides an Estimate of Costs for each education abroad program.  Estimates are available on the individual program pages.

Federal financial aid can be used for approved study abroad options and study abroad costs may be included in the analysis of your financial need. Aid received through New York State may also be used. Read through the Financial Aid web page for  detailed information.

Yes! We have prepared a list of scholarships and financial resources to start you on your way to identifying scholarship opportunities.

All participants must have a valid passport. If your passport will expire within six months of the program end date, you should apply for new one immediately. Depending on your host country’s entry requirements, you may also need to apply for a student visa or residency permit. More information regarding entry requirements is available after acceptance to your program.

All students participating in a UAlbany education abroad program are automatically enrolled in an international health insurance plan. More information regarding international health insurance and general health abroad are located on the Before You Go web page.

If you’re currently living on campus, you must go to the UAlbany Department of Residential Life with a copy of your acceptance to study abroad. You must also complete a Housing Release Application form.

Can’t find what you’re looking for among UAlbany’s education abroad options? Explore more than 600 study abroad possibilities through the SUNY Study Abroad Consortium. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for among SUNY’s vast array of study abroad options, you can consider participating on a non-SUNY program administered by a private college/university or study abroad provider.

Please note, ALL UAlbany students who are participating on ANY kind of program abroad (Other SUNY, Non-SUNY, or Community College programs) must:

  1. Apply through UAlbany education abroad website. Click the specific application below:
  2. Apply through the campus offering that program

UAlbany students participating on programs administered by other 4-year SUNY campuses must be registered at UAlbany while studying abroad. All credits and course equivalents for UAlbany students on SUNY study abroad options are managed through the UAlbany Education Abroad office.

UAlbany students studying on programs administered by Non-SUNY schools must follow the rules for transfer credit, and, if studying for a semester or longer, also apply for a Leave for Approved Study through the office of the Dean of Undergraduate Education.

If UAlbany is administering your program, your online program abroad application will guide you through the post-acceptance process and paperwork. If another SUNY is administering your program, you will receive instructions about how to confirm your participation in your online application. You may also meet with a Program Coordinator for continued advisement or assistance with post-acceptance paperwork..