Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update See details

Graduation Requirements

Graduating On Time

If you plan accordingly and far enough in advance, participation in an education abroad program should not affect your ability to graduate on time.


UAlbany requires all degree-seeking undergraduate students to complete 30 of the last 60 credits of coursework on campus. However, if you choose to study abroad for two semesters during your last two years, any 30 of the last 69 credits cleared must be completed on campus. This means that you may complete more than 30 credits overseas. The 30 credit residency requirement can be completed at any time during your last two years, so you can study abroad during your junior or senior year, or both. If you have any reason to believe that you may have problems satisfying UAlbany’s residence requirements, please speak with your Program Coordinator for assistance. We also recommend speaking with your academic advisor.


UAlbany students, if your last semester of study abroad is also going to be your last semester before you graduate, you will need to submit a degree application. Click here for more information and deadlines from the UAlbany Registrar’s website.

The first time your “audit” is run, you may not clear for graduation! This is because your registration for study abroad shows as 15 credits of GINS coursework. However, when the UAlbany Education Abroad office sends your grades and your Overseas Credit Equivalents Form to the Registrar’s Office at the end of your program, your overseas courses will have actual UAlbany equivalents. Keep in mind that your GINS credit registration will adjust to reflect the number of SUNY credits you actually earned abroad, which may be more or fewer than 15 credits.

We cannot guarantee that your grades from overseas will be processed by the time the Registrar’s office completes final reviews of degree applications. The award of your degree will be pending the receipt of your final grades.

We can guarantee that if we have all your grades and you have sent us your Overseas Enrollment Report Form with course descriptions early in your last semester overseas, we will give them our first priority and should be able to get your Transcript Supplement and your Overseas Credit Equivalents Form to the Registrar’s Office in a matter of days. You can help us get your grades quickly by making sure that you have filled out any releases required by your host university overseas. If there is a program director at your site overseas, tell that person that you are a graduating senior and ask them to expedite your grades to us if possible.

If you are studying on a SUNY program that is not administered by UAlbany, then be sure to follow the procedures that you are given so that your grades are sent promptly to the administering SUNY campus as they will prepare your Transcript Supplement.

Deadlines for Filing for Degree Clearance at UAlbany

For the most current information check the Registrar’s Office website.