Peace Corps Prep Program
Peace Corps Prep
The Peace Corps Prep Certificate program prepares you for international development fieldwork and potential Peace Corps service. To accomplish this, you will build 4 core competencies through interrelated coursework (to a Peace Corps work sector and intercultural competency), hands-on experience, and professional development support.
Read about UAlbany's phenomenal success in year one (2019-2020), and watch a video on the benefits, requirements, and resources, including Frequently Asked Questions.
- Review the Course of Study Mapping and Application Guide
- Consider your many options and choose your best-fit Sector
- Schedule an appointment with a UAlbany PC Prep Sector Coach
- Download the PC Prep Planning Worksheet to sketch out your preliminary course of study plan with the help of your Sector Coach
- Click the button, to access the application and submit your plan for review
- Your application and study plan will be reviewed by your UAlbany PC Prep Sector Coach for acceptance as a candidate
- Get accepted and begin your PC Prep journey!
- Receive Peace Corps volunteer application support (resume, interview) from the Office of Career and Professional Development
- Apply to serve in the Peace Corps!?
- Make the Most of Your World!
Participate in UAlbany’s Global Distinction transcript milestone and fulfill nearly all of your PC Prep requirements at once! Including,
- Academic Training and Field Experience
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Intercultural Competency Requirement
PC Prep Sector Coaches
UAlbany’s Sector Coaches are all returned Peace Corps volunteers (RVPC) available to to guide students in course and volunteering options, Every Peace Corps Prep participant will have a Sector Coach and receive timely support.
Sector Coaches are as follows:
Agriculture, and Environment
Director, International Student and Scholar Services, Center for International Education and Global Strategy; Lecturer in the Educational Policy and Leadership department in the School of Education
Community Economic Development
Associate Professor of Public Administration and Policy in the International Affairs department of the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy
Between January and August 2023, Dr. Annette Richie, the Peace Corps Prep Coordinator, is coaching CED candidates while Dr. Susan Appe is on sabbatical.
Instructor in the Intensive English Language Program, Center for International Education and Global Strategy
Director, Center for Global Health; Clinical Associate Professor in Health Policy, Management, and Behavior department, and Undergraduate Program Director in the School of Public Health
Youth in Development
Director, Global Learning: Engagement and Excellence, Center for International Education and Global Strategy, and Peace Corps Prep Coordinator
If planning to graduate and hoping to serve in the Peace Corps within the next year, please contact the regional Peace Corps Recruiter ASAP.