Intern in Bangkok with The Intern Group (Summer)
- UAlbany students, come intern with The Intern Group in Bangkok, Thailand! This is an excellent opportunity for UAlbany Global Distinction candidates who are studying East Asian Studies.
- Complete a leading international internship in Bangkok. The Intern Group's personalized process ensures that you will be interning in the industry sector of your choice, in a role that is tailored to your professional goals.
- An international internship makes your resume stand out. As one of millions of young people applying for their first job, you need to find a way to jump off the page! An internship in Thailand’s busiest city will make you stand out.
- Make friends and professional networks in Bangkok and from all over the world!
- Have an amazing life experience in Asia! Moving to a new place can be unsettling. That is why The Intern Group team is there to give you support 24/7.
The Intern Group offers first-class internships across all career fields, year round. placing talented international participants in internships in Europe, Asia, Australia, North America, and Latin America. The Intern Group is regularly featured in the world’s top media, including CNN, Time, WSJ and Forbes. UAlbany is pleased to offer 8-week summer internships in Bangkok to Global Distinction candidates, particularly those planning to work in Thailand or elsewhere in Southeast Asia.
Course Descriptions and Syllabi
Bangkok is the financial capital of Thailand. The Intern Group offers successful applicants the opportunity to gain invaluable work experience in one the world’s most dynamic and beautiful cities. Professional experience in Bangkok will allow you to expand your network of international contacts and to enhance your career prospects.
Thanks to partnerships with a range of companies, organizations, and NGOs, an international internship in Bangkok with The Intern Group will boost your professional development. The Intern Group offers programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels.
Review The Intern Group’s website for more information regarding program offerings and placement options.
If you want to improve your Thai language skills, The Intern Group offers optional lessons, for an added fee.
In summer 2019, participating UAlbany students should register and pay for UUNI 289 (3 credits) and perform the reflection and academic assignments required of this online, applied learning, advanced internship course. Summary.
General Education Information for UAlbany Students
Credits earned on this program will automatically satisfy the International Perspectives requirement.
Major/Minor Information for UAlbany Students
Courses may also satisfy major and minor requirements, upon approval by the department.
All courses taken abroad count towards UAlbany General Elective credits. Credits and grades will appear on your UAlbany transcript. You may file a request to have additional courses approved for equivalency as necessary.
Interns in Bangkok reside in studio apartments. Each intern will have their own bathroom, A/C, and refrigerator in their unit. Most apartment buildings include common areas such as outdoor gardens, study rooms, and a gym. Please note that the studios do not include kitchens, as culturally it is uncommon to eat at home in Bangkok as street food is very economical.
Although meals are not included in the program and your studio apartment will not have a kitchen, there are many affordable restaurants, food carts, and markets serving delicious and varied cuisine, throughout the city of Bangkok.
Estimate of Costs
For reference, review the Summer 2019 Estimate of Costs.
The program charge includes an internship placement in your first or second choice of career field, accommodation, visa assistance, cultural and social activities, professional development workshops, transportation, and a one-on-one career coaching session.
Click for more information on Program Costs and Financial Aid.
Remember to speak with the Office of Financial Aid at your home campus to determine how your aid package could apply towards your program abroad.
Applicants must be UAlbany students with a GPA of 2.5 or higher, and have accumulated at least 24 college-level credits before the start of their international internship. You do not need to be a Global Distinction candidate in order to participate on this program. Before applying, please check the UAlbany Education Abroad Subject fields to ensure that The Intern Group offers an internship in your future career field in Bangkok.
The Intern Group’s full-time local team in Bangkok knows the city inside out and will show you the best of it. The Bangkok internship program includes the following cultural events, free to program participants:
- Ayutthaya And Bang Pa-In (Summer Palace) Day Tour: a day trip to Ayutthaya, the UNESCO World Heritage, and visit great temples and palaces of the Ayothaya period. In addition, you will visit Bang Pa-In, The Summer Palace. Learn the region’s rich history through the words of an experienced, knowledgeable, local guide!
- Historical Bangkok Food Tour: become a Thai food expert in a few hours! Join us as we bring you to explore amazing tastes and sights of Bangrak, A.K.A. Village of Love, the century-old culinary neighborhood. This food tour combines delectable food tasting with off-the-beaten sightseeing. As the most popular culinary tour in Thailand, this tour is a delicious and fun way to explore Bangkok just like a local.
- Traditional Thai Food Cooking Class: an immersive experience in traditional Thai cooking and Thai culture. We will start by visiting a typical local Bangkok market. There, you will discover the Thai local produce and learn how to pick the best ingredients. After choosing everything we need for the class, we will head to the cooking studio and turn the ingredients into delicious dishes. We will make 5 traditional Thai dishes in a warm atmosphere and after enjoying the meal, you will get the recipes to bring home with you.
Most financial aid and academic awards will apply to semester programs.
External scholarships, listed on our website, are a good way to partially fund your study abroad experience. In addition, the Center for International Education and Global Strategy offers two scholarship programs for UAlbany students studying abroad on UAlbany or 4-year SUNY programs.
More information on applying to these scholarships is located on the Scholarships web page. Pay special attention to the new Great Dane Internship Scholarship posted there, which has a deadline of March 31st.
The Intern Group also offers various funding opportunities listed on their Financing web page, including financial aid, grants and scholarship resources.
Pell Grant eligible students will receive a $500 discount, courtesy of The Intern Group.
Global Distinction candidates are eligible to apply for a partial flight voucher.
In Their Own Words
About the City
Bangkok is one of the most vibrant, lively, and emerging cities in Asia. Why not go find out why for yourself. If you are looking to visit Asia and launch your career with a leading internship, Bangkok is a great option. Bangkok is a city where east meets west and ancient architecture meets modernity. Thailand, an emerging market in Asia, is home to some of the continent’s most important companies and is the ideal place to grow your network. Bangkok is an international hub for business, entrepreneurship, IT, finance, marketing, tourism, and NGOs. Those accepted onto The Intern Group’s intern in Thailand program have the chance to gain vital professional experience and industry exposure on a global level. Bangkok will leave you not only with professional experience, but with memories that will last a lifetime. Bangkok will feel like home for you in no time.
A valid passport is required to participate in this program. More information regarding the visa application process is available upon acceptance to the program. While The Intern Group provides advising, students are responsible for acquiring and paying for their own visa. For more eligibility-related questions, please refer to the Eligibility section on The Intern Group’s website.
Applications become available online one semester before the program start date, based on the following timeline:
- Summer programs: December
06/22/2019 to 08/16/2019
About the Program
Your internship program includes an internship placement in your first or second-choice of career field, accommodation, visa assistance, cultural and social activities, professional development workshops, transportation, and a one-on-one career coaching session.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will be required to attend a mandatory pre-departure orientation. During this time, you will have the opportunity to meet other program participants, discuss in-depth the details of your program, and prepare for the overall education abroad experience. The summer semester pre-departure orientation will be conducted the week before the end of Spring UAlbany classes.
Upon arrival in Bangkok, you will attend a mandatory orientation. This is an important and informative set of sessions organized by The Intern Group.
UAlbany’s Office of Education Abroad staff assists you during the application process, in your preparation to travel abroad, and on-site if necessary.
The Intern Group’s staff serve as an experienced resource for resolving issues that you may encounter in while abroad.