Global Distinction Transcript Milestone
The Global Distinction is a structured sequence of courses and experiences that prepares UAlbany students to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and perspectives to succeed in a globalized world – to become Globally Competent. Represented as a 'milestone' on your official transcript, the Global Distinction is what sets you apart from peers without a similar experience, particularly when competing for admission to graduate schools or for jobs with prospective employers. It conveys that you possess a global understanding of your field, that you can work with diverse groups and across cultures, and that you can effectively navigate new environments.
Why pursue the Global Distinction?
Compared to other graduates, you will stand out for your:
- International perspectives on contemporary issues
- Deep applied learning, inside and outside of the classroom
- On-site experience interning or researching in a global context
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Interdisciplinary problem-solving abilities
- Acquired interpersonal and intercultural skills needed to perform in your career
As a Global Distinction student you gain a deeper understanding of your field, advance your proficiency in another language, and gain invaluable international experience through study and work. Courses taken as part of the Global Distinction count towards your General Education and Major/Minor requirements or as Electives. This means there are no extra classes AND you will still graduate on time!
Elements of the Global Distinction
- Globally Focused Coursework: Build interdisciplinary problem-solving skills via 3 pre-identified globally focused courses and an independent study or Capstone project!
- Second Language Study: Learn to speak like a local by studying another language for 2 years. Choose from 11 options!
- International Immersion: Spend a semester studying abroad at one of UAlbany’s many high quality exchange partner universities around the world, AND spend 8 to 10 weeks abroad as a summer intern or researcher! Choose a lab or professional internship in a city that speaks your second language!
write text about the plans.
View the list of Global Distinction Progression Plans.
*text about how Progression plans are samples/guideliens as well as subject to departmental approval
Your Global Distinction experience and efforts will be recorded as a Milestone on your UAlbany transcript.
do we want to write anything here? something about aside from immersion experiences, no cost beyond regular tuition and fees?
The Global Distinction is open to ALL MAJORS at UAlbany who are in good academic standing. Students, including transfer students, can sign up at any time in their undergraduate careers. Of course, the earlier that you declare the Global Distinction, the better we can advise you on your academics and experiences abroad.
Global Distinction flight voucher text. How do we operationalize since we cant give cash. Have they book through advantage and we work the discount with them for direct bill? How much?
External scholarships, listed on our website, are a good way to partially fund your education abroad experiences. In addition, the Center for International Education and Global Strategy offers two scholarship programs for UAlbany students studying abroad on UAlbany or 4-year SUNY education abroad programs.
More information on applying to these scholarships is located on the Scholarships web page.
Remember to speak with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how your aid package could apply towards your program abroad.