Applications become available online one semester before the program start date, based on the following timeline:
- Spring/Winter/Spring Break programs: July
- Fall/Year/Summer programs: December
- Do you have a specific destination in mind?
- When is the best semester to go abroad?
- How long do you want to be abroad? Short-term or semester?
- Do you need specific classes for your major or minor?
Go online or stop by the Center for International Education and Global Strategy’s Education Abroad office to schedule an advising appointment. We are located in the Science Library, G40.
Search for your UAlbany program of interest. When you find the specific program you want to apply to, click the Apply Now button, located at the top of each program’s web page.
UAlbany Students who want to Study Abroad on a Program Administered by ANOTHER SUNY or NON-SUNY Institution must:
- Apply through UAlbany education abroad website. Click the specific application below:
- Apply through the campus administering that program
NOTE: UAlbany students participating on programs administered by other 4-year SUNY campuses must be registered at UAlbany while studying abroad. All credits and course equivalents for UAlbany students on SUNY study abroad options are managed through the UAlbany Education Abroad office. UAlbany students studying on programs administered by NON-SUNY schools must follow the rules for transfer credit, and, if studying for a semester or longer, also apply for a Leave for Approved Study through the office of the Dean of Undergraduate Education.
Each program may have different procedures, so complete each step carefully. Depending on the program, may need to submit some or all of the following:
- Study Statement
- Agreement and Release Form
- Judicial Review Form
- Application Fee (if applicable)
- Academic Reference(s) (if applicable)
- Financial Aid Arrangements Form (if applicable)
- Language Proficiency Form (if applicable)
- Preliminary Course Approval Form (if applicable)
- Signature Verification Form (if applicable)
Note: Affiliate program providers may require a separate application. Check the website to make sure you have submitted all of the required documents and completed all sections of the application. Affiliate programs may also have additional application fees.
After you have completed the application, check your education abroad application account and university email regularly. You will receive acceptance notification via email.
Once accepted, you must confirm your participation within 2 weeks by submitting a deposit. You will then have additional paperwork to complete and will also receive more program-specific information (flight dates, immigration, deadlines, course offerings, etc.).
Post-acceptance materials vary by program. Check your education abroad application account.
Completion of at the pre-departure orientations is mandatory, which will cover important topics such as health/safety, cultural adjustment, communication, packing, finances, etc. Most orientation material is delivered online, with an optional in-person event scheduled each semester.
Advising appointments typically last 20 to 30 minutes. During the meeting, you will have the chance to discuss your program options in detail.